Featured Post

August: The Return of Souls

August is peak summer season in Japan.  We can look forward to some of the most spectacular fireworks displays and festivals in the world, ...

Nanatsuboshi of Hokkaido

Another rice grain that's loved in Japan. Nanatsuboshi. This is probably the third or fourth article written up on rice, which I feel is the heart and soul of Japanese cuisine. The reason for choosing this particular rice grain is because it's a new type of grain which was born from two rice strands; hito me bure and kirara 397, which are considered the best in Hokkaido. This rice is not only reasonably priced but delicious as well, and goes well with stews - I would never eat a koshihikari rice with a stew. This is a type of ordinary everyday rice used by millions of people in Hokkaido. I'm on my fourth day of eating this rice and on a scale of 1 to 10 I rate it at about an 8 because it's not as sticky as I would like and the water retention isn't as high as like say a koshihikari. All rice doesn't taste the same ! Some would argue that, but it's true, all rice doesn't taste the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Follow by Email