Featured Post

August: The Return of Souls

August is peak summer season in Japan.  We can look forward to some of the most spectacular fireworks displays and festivals in the world, ...

Aged Sake: Koshu 古酒

aged sake, originally uploaded by Tony Alexander.


Sake name: Asahikawa; hizoukoshu/limited version; junmai-koshu/aged sake; high alc. Percentage. I like aged sake, especially a local jizake like this in the picture which was made in Yamagata. I also love imbibing on this kind of sake at night in an onsen in the middle of winter. The aged wood and sake; the starry night sky all mix well for a wonderful and relaxing night. i always make it a point to do a midnight soak with a cold bottle of aged sake.

3 comments:

  1. how is it different from the Hakutsuru Supérieur Junmai Ginjo sake ?

    I start to love sake after my last trip to japan, but the selection here in Montreal is very limited.
    I like the Hakutsuru Supérieur Junmai Ginjo sake but still looking to other sort of sake.
    I would love to find the sake I drink at Kyoto (with a classic Kyoto meal).

    Sake and Onsen ? are they good together ? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks.

    Cyril, thanks for the comment. I've tasted your brand of sake before. Hakutsuru is a very familiar sake label and a lot of people and restaurants sell it in Japan. Although it's good, I don't really care that much for it, and no, the taste is not similar. The sake in this picture is a bit astringent on the tongue, so I don't think it would be popular with many people.

    Sake and onsen do go very well together, especially at night.

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Follow by Email