Featured Post

August: The Return of Souls

August is peak summer season in Japan.  We can look forward to some of the most spectacular fireworks displays and festivals in the world, ...

Enjoying a Japanese Style Set Menu

IMG_3781

Nine uniquely prepared dishes that are all seasonal(spring set; above picture) is one of the quintessential things one can experience when here in Japan.  What I immediately noticed in box numbers three and four ( from left to right) are the lotus roots

Now for some people these are not so tasty.  It took me to while to get used to eating them, but as you all know taste can be acquired.  I do believe that people can acquire a taste for anything.  I also noticed the wild veggies, the last row second box, which are usually hand picked early in the morning.   Next to that dish there’s the ubiquitous salmon which is always a  favorite even amongst Westerners. 

My favorite of the nine though was the stewed pork, last box on the second row, which to my surprise was very tender  with lots of melt in your mouth fat surrounding the succulent meaty part.   I enjoyed showing the local elderly ladies how I like to work meat in my mouth   They were so impressed!

IMG_3782

I love taking bus tours where there're lots of cheerful ladies like these onboard.  And yes, they are a little too old for me….(clear my throat).   Seriously though, there’s nothing quite like a nice bus trip with a group of elderly ladies. I was the coolest big kid on the block. 

The Soul of Japan

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Follow by Email