Skip to main content

Australian Style Breakfast in Kamakura

Mother nature decided to give us a break for a couple of day in between the rainy season by granting us some gorgeous weather.    Since I have a half a day today with the whole morning to myself I decided to do a little research about good breakfast eats around  the Shonan Coast of Kamakura.  

 

One thing I love just as much as Japanese  food is a good Western style breakfast; nothing tops  perfectly scrambled eggs,  slow drip coffee, and toast.  After searching around in the blogosphere I found a few blogs in Japanese that mentioned something about a restaurant called "bills" in lower case.   This blog mentioned something about scrambled eggs and toast and ricotta cheese pancakes.   I was hooked.

IMG_7568 (2)

IMG_7569

Then I googled the restaurant again and found an article written up by robbie swinnerton in English which only highlighted lunch and some very detailed  pros and cons about bills which was very useful, by the way.  I was only interested in the breakfast menu which is available in PDF for anybody who's interested.  I think bills lunch menu is just an ordinary standard fare you'd expect at any beachside diner,  so I wouldn't necessarily recommend lunch. 

 

Breakfast is the best in my opinion since it's the hardest to find  around Kanagawa.  You can eat a burger and fries anywhere, but good eggs scrambled just right, and toast on normal size bread is rare. ( scrambled organic eggs with toast).  These was a decent portion size actually.  It is not as small as it looks.

IMG_7558 (2)

 

The creator of this restaurant is an Australian man by the name of Bill Granger, a famous international chef who's traveled extensively all over the world and who has made a name for himself as the "Breakfast King" of Australia.   I knew I couldn't  go wrong if I ate here at this restaurant.  There are two branch restaurants, one in Akarenga and the other beachside in Kamakura - I didn't know there was one in Akarenga soko.  I was just over there a week at a sake summit and didn't even know there's was a branch there.

 

This next dish was simply awesome. It's called Ricotta hotcakes smothered in honeycomb butter with bananas. 

 

IMG_7565

IMG_7567

(Stuffed with ricotta).

Since the weather was gorgeous I jumped on my scooter and scooted down route 1, which is equivalent to route 66 in America.  I got there in just under 46 minutes from Yokohama.  Beautiful weather, ocean view, cruising down at around 80km/hr at 6am.  I had  a lot of time to spare after arriving so I took a quick trip to Enoshima Island which I will blog about later.

IMG_7575

 

 

For those of you driving it's better if you come down using route 1.  Then you'll come up on route 30, take that route and stay on that route  until you reach route 134, turn left and and keep straight,  that way it'll be easier for you to find the place rather then coming up from Kamakura.  If you come up from Kamakura you'll have a hard time getting into the parking lot.   If you take a train you'll need to get off at Shichirigahama Station using the Enoshima Dentetsu Line.  It's a 1 or 2 minute walk from there.  It's right across the street from 7-11.  If you are standing in the 7-11 parking lot and facing toward the sea the restaurant will be off to your right in a white concrete building on the second floor.

 

All and all I was very pleased.  The balcony seating was great along with the view and hospitality.  I was treated well.  The food was delicious and the weather was beautiful.  I felt very satisfied with the whole experience.  A little pricey, but worth it.  I could easily see myself returning.   Breakfast is from 9 to 11, I recommend getting there at 9 sharp since the breakfast menu is very popular and people line up just to get in the place.

 

Cheers

Comments

  1. I think I remember seeing that place. I drove by there just a few weeks ago. It looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey T.

    Yeah, if you decide to go in the morning the view from the balcony is not too bad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The breakfast looks delicious. I know how difficult it can be to find good western style breakfast in Asia.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nancie!

    Thx for the comment. Yes. I was so happy to find this place.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Shin-Okubo: Little Korea

So I finally got around to going up there to Shin-Okubo,  the land of Seoul via the Yamanote Line.  Been putting this trip off for years for personal reasons;  I am not a fan of Hanlleyu.      I knew why I came up this way, and for none other reason than the food, and maybe to bask in the nausea of Korean romanticist who steal Japanese Jukujo's souls.    But honestly, I like spicy food and stews and pickled vegetables that challenge my taste buds.    I also love the little funky cafes that line the main thoroughfares and alley ways, each with their own little eclectic menus and interior decor.     This place is Korea.  





Shin-Okuba represents more than just a place to relish in Korean culinary delights and K-pop culture, but a place where Koreans can express themselves through their culture.    You can feel the local vibe in the air as you're walking down narrow walkways and footpaths.    I have personally been to mainland Korea six times, so a lot of the nostalgia was there …

August: The Return of Souls

August is peak summer season in Japan.  We can look forward to some of the most spectacular fireworks displays and festivals in the world, especially  in places like Tohoku and Kanto regions.  August is also  the most contentious month of the year in Japan; with the end of the war and war-related guilt.    Then there's the great exodus back home for millions of Japanese.   Obon season is what it's called in Japan, and it's  where families return to their hometowns to remember their ancestors and to spend time with loved ones.  Gravestones are visited, cleaned, and washed; rice or alcohol is often placed on  miniature altars next to a  headstone.  This is a way for Japanese to reconnect with their roots; a way for them to stay grounded and founded in the ways of tradition and cultural protocol.   

For the foreign tourist, some places will be overcrowded and expensive to reach; for Japanese, this is normal and can't be helped.   Wherever you go there will be lines and h…

Japan Board of Education: Amazing Grace...?

Japan Board of Education Textbook.
Amazing Grace
Shuken Shuppan  Polestar textbook English Communication

Preface:  Japanese / Japan is  one of the leading donors in humanitarian aid around the world.   They have donated billions of yen to charities, developing countries, and startup business to just about every country on the globe.  Some Japanese have even taken matters to the extreme  to the point of poking their noses into hotspot areas like Palestine and Isreal, things the Japanese may want to avoid.  Had Japan shared its borders with an ethnic minority with its own government, the relative peace and calm of this country would be questionable.   No other country can be like nor emulate Japan.   So, where does this spirit of charity and altruism come from exactly?   Why do the Japanese feel they need to save the whole world, while caring very little for its own people?   It's the Board of Education...?  The essay below is one such example of what Japanese kids learn in school,…