Featured Post

August: The Return of Souls

August is peak summer season in Japan.  We can look forward to some of the most spectacular fireworks displays and festivals in the world, ...

The Three Kings of Azuma Rikishi


( orange label ) Azuma Rikishi Brewery is famous for aged sake with its huge labyrinth of cave tunnels are perfect for sleeping sake undisturbed.   I had a chance to pick up a bottle,  a Junmai Ginjo Shiboritate Nama.


Nihonshu-do: plus 1
100% Go-hyaku-mangoku
Seimaibui: 55%
( flavors: deep tones for a nama [unpasturized] Flavorsome).




The center bottle is from the same brewery, and it's a Hiyaoroshi this time. aJunmai Ginjo Nama Genshu type. Again, rare and local jizake types that deliver on taste every single time.
100% local grown Tochigi rice was used for this.
Seimaibuai: 60%
The last Azuma Rikishi is a Nigori Nama Genshu Kurakuchi.
Nihonshu-do: -10


The first sip is so thick and flavorsome on this one. I can't quit put my finger on it, really. The effervescence, the thick creaminess, the sourness and sweetness all combined. It's good.... In the picture I was lucky enough to have a ledge next to my hotel window. Everything was so serendipitous for me during my trip.


If ever in Tochigi Prefecture, and you have time, I highly recommend visiting this brewery, or at least sampling the sake produced at Azuma Rikishi. The true essense of Tochigi sake is here.
Other Tochigi related posts:
here, here, and here.


Followers

Follow by Email