Skip to main content

Real Soba: 湧水

According to investigative journalist Hirokatsu Azuma, Azuma writes, if you eat buckwheat noodles, you can be almost 100% certain you’re eating a Chinese import. About 70% of all buckwheat flour consumed in Japan is sourced from China; but the remaining 30% is served only in the highest class specialty soba restaurants [Japan Times].


Now, this all sounds like a bunch of malarkey to me, especially since the Japanese take so much pride in their culinary legacy. But, for the sake of clarity, I’ll give this writer the benefit of the doubt, being that he is Japanese and that he should know his own cuisines - sorry if I’m sounding a bit unctuous here, I’m mean, you can lead me to the water, but you can’t make me drink. I do still believe that there’re a plethora of good soba shops that use 100% Japanese grown buckwheat noodles, and today I will introduce one.

Near Jindaiji, one of the great epicenters of Japanese Edo tradition, located in a sparsely populated enclave in Tokyo, is this gem of a soba shop. It’s called Yu-sui. The restaurant itself dates back about 100 years, it’s clean, every well maintained. Even the window locks are in their original form and still work. The tables are sturdy and made of solid wood. The whole mood and atmosphere is not only pleasing to the eye, but to the soul as well, very folksy.


I opened the menu and knew immediately what to order; the large zaru soba ( cold soba). And then, just to try something different, I ordered up something called “sobagaki” which is a soba donut that you dip into this soy/mustard sauce. I can’t even begin to describe the taste, but I recommend everybody try it at least once. I enjoyed it. My last order was trout tempura ( deep fried trout) with eggplant and pumpkin. Very good. This soba was fantastic as all the ingredients were made right here in the womb of Japan, so to speak?? Not only was this soba good, but the prices on the menu were reasonable, too. Another thing I noticed was how thin and delicate each buckwheat noodle was. I was also impressed at how al dente the noodles were when I masticated every single strand of noodle that came between my teeth. Perfect. This is real Japanese soba.

This is the sobagaki

Freshly fried vegetable tempura

Green leaf tempura.

Yu-sui


Menu's are available in English.


Comments

  1. Sounds like absolute culinary heaven. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was pure culinary heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  3. MAybe someday I can eat real noodles from Japan:)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Shin-Okubo: Little Korea

So I finally got around to going up there to Shin-Okubo,  the land of Seoul via the Yamanote Line.  Been putting this trip off for years for personal reasons;  I am not a fan of Hanlleyu.      I knew why I came up this way, and for none other reason than the food, and maybe to bask in the nausea of Korean romanticist who steal Japanese Jukujo's souls.    But honestly, I like spicy food and stews and pickled vegetables that challenge my taste buds.    I also love the little funky cafes that line the main thoroughfares and alley ways, each with their own little eclectic menus and interior decor.     This place is Korea.  





Shin-Okuba represents more than just a place to relish in Korean culinary delights and K-pop culture, but a place where Koreans can express themselves through their culture.    You can feel the local vibe in the air as you're walking down narrow walkways and footpaths.    I have personally been to mainland Korea six times, so a lot of the nostalgia was there …

Japanese Girls: A Sex(quisition)

While writing this, I was listening to "Going Through Changes" by Eminem

No, I haven't lost any love for momma, Japanese Jukujo that is, and yes, I do have a special place in my heart for young Japanese women, too. 

But then....then I glance over and there's a momma, a delectable Japanese Jukujo momma.  Fully rounded, and fully figured and fair healthy skinned.  Full fine silky muff fujii mounds. 

From this point I feel I need to qualify my remarks more thoroughly, though, especially when referencing women in general.   Firstly, it cannot be denied that there are beautiful women all over the world and from a variety of different backgrounds.  Women are people. However, in this essay I would like to take it a little further.

For me, living in Japan I have created a world unto myself so to speak.  I believe that some people create reasons for doing things, more so than there actually being a real need for doing said things, while others drift along accepting any an…

Estudio científico sobre la lactancia materna para adultos. Cómo alimentar a un bebé adulto.

Estudio científico sobre la lactancia materna para adultos. Cómo alimentar a un bebé adulto.